Indian Meal prep is an essential step during this darkest time. I already shared the grocery list for one month.
We will see what Indian meal prep we can do and save for the next few days.
These were the few things you can make ahead and store it
- Tamarind paste for sambar and rasam and other recipes you can use.
- onion tomato paste – for gravies etc
- Make Tomato puree or if you get canned one please buy and store.
- You can buy spinach or any leafy greens -blanch it and make a puree and store it
- Soak and cook toor dal, moong dal, and any lentils freeze them in ice cube trays and transfer it to ziploc bags and use the cubes as and when needed.
- Chop carrot, beans, peas, and store in the Ziploc and freeze it. You can wash chop vegetables and then vacuum seal them in ziplock bags and freeze.
- Cilantro, mint, basil – wash, dry and store it in a box with some paper towels. This will last more than a month.
- Plan the meal ahead for one month and make the shopping list.
- For milk – buy tetra packs (ultra-pasteurized), milk powder, etc.
- I bought some onion granules and garlic powder as a substitute for soups and other dishes instead of using whole onion
- Make ginger garlic paste and store in sillicone moulds.
- You can do tadka like mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves,hing with a lot of oil and store it in a glass bottle in room temperature
- Potatoes can be boiled, peeled and cut into desired shapes and freeze it.
- Make idli/dosa batter and ferment half of the batter and store the other half in the fridge without fermenting. Ferment the other half after a week or so.
- Buy different types of rice like raw rice, Sona masoori rice, parboiled rice, basmati rice instead of stocking one.
- Soak legumes, drain the water, and freeze it.
- You can do all this meal prep and store in this type of 3 compartment box
With all these in hand, you can create the meal planning chart for the week or month.
Please don’t go overboard and buy stuff. There are other families who need it.
If you missed download the Indian grocery list for the month. Click here.