Instant pot indian lemon rice with some roasted potato or fryums are my easy goto recipe when i want to make a quick dinner or lunch for my family.
The indian lemon rice with instant pot is less than 15 minutes recipe.They can be made spicy or non spicy as per your taste.This is a classic south indian dish and you have to try this indian lemon rice recipe with instant pot.
Lemon rice is also called as chitrana in south india.So dont get confused when someone tells you this rice recipe as chitranna.The authentic south indian lemon rice recipe we will not use any onion or garlic.The flavors are just from lemon,crunchy peanuts,curry leaves and a simple tadka makes it more favourful.Especially the tadka done with oil ,mustard seeds and crunchy urad dal,chana dal,green chilli ,curry leaves and a dash of hing makes it more delicious.
Lemon rice with sona masoori or raw rice is the first choice.If you dont have any of this rice variety you can go for seasoned basmati rice to make this indian lemon rice.
If you are looking for vegan lemon rice this is the best to try in your instant pot since we dont use ghee ,butter or milk in this indian lemon rice recipe.
The indian lemon rice with instant pot is a very simple version you can make .All you to do is just and pressure cook and do a quick release to make this recipe.This is one of thr very frequently made south indian rice recipes.
This citrus-flavored instant pot lemon rice is a one-pot dish you can make using instant pot. Before the arrival of the instant pot, we make this rice using a pressure cooker.
WHAT RICE TO USE TO MAKE LEMON RICE RECIPE?
Somehow being a south Indian I prefer to make lemon rice only with raw rice or sona masoori rice and not with basmati rice since basmati rice already has an aroma in it.
Why instant pot to make indian lemon rice ?
Instant pot makes the lemon rice as a pot meal and makes the cooking easier without much intervention.I can focus on other things especially my toddlers .So it makes my life so easy and simple.
What to serve with lemon rice as sides?
This south Indian lemon rice is always enjoyed with some roasted veggies like potato, taro, or vegan vegetable curry.
How to make lemon rice with instant pot ?
- Wash the rice a couple of times in running water and soak it for 10 minutes maximum and drain the water completely and keep it aside.
- Turn on the instant pot on ‘saute’ mode. Once it displays ‘HOT’ add oil wait for a minute, add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seed pops add urad dal, cumin seeds, chana dal, curry leaves, green chili,hing peanuts.
- Wait until the urad dal and chana dal turn light golden brown.
- Add 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice.
- Once the water comes into rolling boil add the turmeric powder, salt, and rice
- Mix it well and close the lid and turn on pressure cook mode, High pressure and do a QR(Quick-Release)
- Open the pot and add lemon juice and mix it well.
- Your lemon rice is ready to serve.
Today I’m serving lemon rice with some pappad. This is one of the easiest rice you can try with the instant pot.
Indian lemon rice with instant pot
All you need is just 4 minutes to make this yummy lemon rice in instant pot
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal(split)
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 2 numbers green chilli roughly chopped
- Hing a pinch
- 1 string curry leaves optional
- 1 tbsp peanuts
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 number lemon
- 1 cup raw rice
- 1 tsp cumin seeds optional
Wash the rice couple of times in running water and soak it for 10 minutes maximum and drain the water completely and keep it aside.
Turn on the instant pot on 'saute' mode .Once it displays 'HOT' add oil wait for a minute ,add mustard seeds.
When the mustard seed pops add urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves, green chilli,hing peanuts.
Wait until the urad dal and chana dal turn light golden brown.
Add 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice.
Once the water comes into rolling boil add the turmeric powder ,salt and rice.
Mix it well and close the lid and turn on pressure cook mode ,High pressure 4 minutes and do a QR(Quick release)
Open the pot and add lemon juice and mix it well.
Your lemon rice is ready to serve.
- Please use sunflower oil /peanut oil/sesame seed oil for this recipe and please don’t use ghee for lemon rice.
- Don’t add lemon juice while adding water or in saute mode. Always when you make traditional south Indian lemon rice add lemon juice at the end like we add lemon juice in salads to get full nutrients.
- Do not cook further after you add lemon juice.
- Adding roasted peanuts is totally optional. If you are allergic to peanuts please ignore.
Please don’t forget to try burnt garlic Fried rice in instant pot
*Disclosure: We are an Amazon Influencer/Amazon Associate.
This means that if you decide to purchase items or services on Amazon through our links on Pressure Cook Recipes to Amazon, Amazon will send a small commission to us at no additional costs to you.