Instant pot kitchari – khichdi is a one-pot wholesome meal suitable for all ages.
Kitchari is a perfect balance of
What goes into khichdi?
Rice, lentils, vegetables, and ghee
What are the different combinations of khichdi in instant pot you can make?
Rice – white rice can be substituted with brown rice, quinoa khichdi or any millets of your choice.
Lentils – we will be using moong dal in this recipe but you can substitute with mung beans,toor dal chana dal, masoor dal or combination of lentils.
Vegetables – I’m using potato, green beans, tomato, cauliflower, peas, carrot. You can add or ignore any vegetables.
Ghee – we can substitute with any oil except coconut oil.
This is a no onion no garlic recipe.If you want you can ginger garlic paste 1 tablespoon and one onion finely chopped in saute mode for extra flavor.
If you are Vegan please replace clarified butter with oil.
You can make this recipe with any dal like toor dal /green mung dal, chana dal or a combination of any lentils. If you are sick please use only yellow moong dal since its easily digestible.
Some of our combinations of khichadi we make masala khichdi recipe in instant pot, mung bean kitchari instant pot or just the plain khichdi instant pot
In india we give this moong dal khichdi for babies above 8 months with just one or two vegetables and also yellow moong is easily digestible and a wholesome meal.
How to khichdi in instant pot
instant pot kitchari – instant pot khichdi
- 2 tablespoon clarified butter / oil ghee
- 1/2 cup moong dal washed and split
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 cup green beans cut into about 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 number potato medium size washed peeled and small cubed this will make about 1/2 cup of cubed potatoe
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- salt to taste
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida hing
- 1-1/2 cups tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon ginger finely shredded
- 2 tablespoon cilantro finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
Wash rice and moong dal changing water 3 to 4 times in the running water and drain the water completely.
Turn on the instant pot in saute mode ,once it displays hot add ghee or oil of your choice.
Add the cumin seeds,mustard seeds, hing ,add tomatoes, green chili, ginger, salt and red chilli powder.
Let it cook for 2 minutes.Stir inbetween to avoid buring in the bottom
Now add the rice,mung dal, vegetables, salt, turmeric and 5 cups of water.
Turn on the instant pot to rice mode.
Let the pressure release naturally.
Add cilantro and garam masala and mix it well.
Serve the instant pot khichdi/kitchari with pickle or yogurt or potato chips and enjoy.
- This is a no onion no garlic recipe.If you want you can ginger garlic paste 1 tablespoon and one onion finely chopped in saute mode for extra flavor.
- If you are Vegan please replace clarified butter with oil .
- You can make this recipe with any dal like toor dal /green mung dal,chana dal or a combination of any lentils.If you are sick please use only yellow moong dal since its easily digestible.
- In india we give this meal for babies above 8 months with just one or two vegetable since yellow moong is easily digestible and is a wholesome meal.
We had instant pot kitchari with taro roast/arbi fry/seppankizhangu roast